BUGGING OUT. Also known as an emergency evacuation, In case of a natural or man made disaster that forces you to leave home you will want to have a plan and the necessary items to survive.
FEMA ADVISES HAVE 72 HOURS OF EMERGENCY SUPPLIES ON HAND
So we will start with one person 72 hr bug out bag.
It is important that you have what is needed to survive and it is ready to go in the the case you have to evacuate your home in a hurry. Item that we can not live with out, Water, Food, Shelter, First aid, Communication & Personal hygiene products.
Keep in mind that this is a one person 72 hour bug out bag, the supplies it contains will be sufficient for one person.
Putting together a one person 72 hour bug out bag:
First item you will need a 25 to 30 liter back pack to pack everything in.
- Water: is number one, the minimum amount of water to keep you alive and healthy is 1 liter a day, so you will need 3 liters of water, you’ll want more if you are in a hot climate zone. you can buy Emergency Water Pouches, these have a good shelf life and are easy to pack. Also I would recommend an emergence water filter, I would recommend the Sawyer Mini Water Filter it is small and light weight.
- Food: For a 72 hour bag I would go with Energy Bars, there is no prep so you can eat on the go. You can also add Dehydrated Meals these will take extra water and and time to cook. Either way you’ll need to have about 10,000 calories worth of food in your bug out bag. Read the labels on the food you choose to ensure you will get enough calories.
- Shelter: You will need to stay warm and dry so a Light Weight Tent or an Emergency Shelter Tent will keep you out dry. As far as blankets go a couple of Mylar Blankets and a Wool Blanket will keep you warm.
- First Aid: You will need Small First Aid Kit along with your favorite bug repellent.
- Communication: You’ll need to keep in touch with people as you travel, so your cell phone along with an Emergency Radio with Hand Crank and cell phone charger will help you stay in touch and keep up to date with the news.
- Hygiene: This can vary depending on the sex of the person, your hygiene kit should contain the following items: Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste, Toilet Paper Packs, Wet Naps, Soap, Shampoo/Conditioner, Dental Floss, Deodorant Gel, Twin Blade Razor, Comb, Maxi pads, Washcloth, Shave Cream, Small Waste Bags. Use travel size items to save space and weight.
- Tools and Gear: There is a few pieces of gear you need to have in you bug out bag. A couple of knives, A Survival Knife and a Multipurpose knife . If your going to be using Dehydrated Meals you’ll need a Survival Stove, a Mess Kit and Utensils, the reason I recommend the energy bars. You’ll also need a metal cup and a water bottle. A Hand Crank Flash Light, (no batteries needed) a Compass, 50 foot of light weight rope or Para-cord , matches and a water prof Match Container and a Poncho A Portable Folding Shovel is a good idea, some of these are multipurpose.
- Misc items: A few pairs of socks, clothing to suit your climate, maps of your area, sunglasses and a list of contact with phone numbers and addresses.